7 - CLUTCH - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach


I first came across Clutch when they supported Therapy? at the Oxford Zodiac (now the Oxford O2) in 1999, so they’ve been in my life for a while now. The inclusion of Sunrise on Slaughter Beach here means that the last 6 Clutch records have all made this List. One of those – Earth Rocker – has grown into one of my favourite records of all time; I still play it at least 10 times a year. Even leaving aside that high watermark, though, a Clutch record is always likely to place: they just know how to rock me up in the right way. So, it’s perhaps interesting that I initially was very disappointed with Sunrise on Slaughter Beach. It felt off the pace compared to their usual quality, and I nearly gave up on it. I’m very glad I didn’t, cause it has ended up placing higher than any previous Clutch album. Even Earth Rocker only managed a modest 9th place in 2013 (albeit that it has never stopped growing in my estimation since). Sunrise on Slaughter Beach is probably now my second favourite Clutch record, although it’s hard to put my finger on exactly why. As usual, there are not huge surprises here – blues infused stoner rock is the name of the game. Clutch do Clutch. But there is something more anthemic about a number of the tracks, especially the likes of ‘Mercy Brown’ and ‘Skeletons on Mars’, which just sound bigger than the band have done in the past. This record isn’t likely to change anyone’s world, but it features some of the best riff-driven blues rock that you’re likely to come across.