5 - SORRY - Anywhere But Here


After a 6th place finish in 2020 with their stellar debut, slacker indie pioneers Sorry go one better with an even stronger sophomore record. There might not be anything quite as instant as ‘Starstruck’ or ‘Right Around the Clock’ here, but there’s greater depth and consistency throughout. Sorry are growing as song-writers. It’s probably telling that, when my ‘Spotify wrapped’ stats appeared, Sorry came out as my 2nd most played artist of 2022 (1st was the artist that tops this List, and 3rd was Nirvana…). Sorry placed second because alongside this excellent album I’ve also continued to play their debut regularly, as well as their curio EP from last year. Anywhere But Here is the best of those 3 releases: it ups the game by broadening its influences. Lament to lost love ‘Key to the City’ is a trip-hop track in disguise, especially in its last third; ‘Baltimore’ mixes the spikey indie of the 2000s with post-rock; album-closer ‘Again’ is a synth driven prog-indie delight. And the lyrics are uniformly excellent again too. Take the exploration of the mind of a gambling addict that is ‘Quit While You’re Ahead’ (‘Quit while you’re ahead / How can I when I’ve got winning combinations in my head?’). A fantastic live show in Bristol on Halloween certainly helped cement my love of this record, but it was already well established. Sorry have released two albums and an EP since the start of 2020, and I’ve loved them all: meaning that they surely are early contenders to be one of the bands of the decade for me.