3 - METRIC - Formentera


I have played Metric albums before, but none of them ever left much of an impression. This time it clicked, and as a result Ive been revisiting – and enjoying – their previously dismissed back catalogue. Formentera is certainly the high watermark for me, though, probably because it’s the first record of theirs that I fell for, and I fell for it hard. The amazing ‘Doomscroller’ is a formidable start and hard to see beyond when one thinks of the record. A 10+ minute masterpiece, with its unerring bassline pinning you down while all hell breaks loose, before the whole thing shifts gear entirely (more than once). Lyrically vital (‘ruling classes trickle piss from champagne glasses’) and musically so confidently ambitious, it’s a track that has more to it than most albums. But Formentera is far from a one trick pony. Other highlights for me include the rolling synth ballad ‘Enemies of the Ocean’ (with its wonderful big band chorus), the instant dance-pop classic ‘Oh Please’, and the ethereal ‘Paths in the Sky’, which is a fittingly excellent way to end things. But the truth is this record is essential listening and every track on it is fantastic. I think that I prefer Formentera to both of my last two List toppers from 2021 and 2020 – which says a lot about the two records that I’ve ranked above it.